Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Am I a Good Mother ??

Two years and ten months ago my little angel came to life, to change mine completely .. the wonder of the motherhood was overwhelming ,,i remember the first days of her life ,, the sleepless nights,, the feeding ,, changing nappies ,, the first smile .. and the guessing !!: does she looks like me ,, oh! she has her dad`s color of hair but she do look like me ..oh no she looks like my sister ,, she has Aladdin smile ..
months later i noticed a little white sparkling thing in her mouth ,, a tooth ,, waw subhanallah ,, it was such an amazing moment ,, later on, there was the hard food stage ,, mixing the vegetables and fruits and taking less milk...and so on ,, my dania `s growing process was (and still) a journey of joy and happiness.
i was working at the time so my mum was her actual mother ,, Dania would spend the whole day in my family house with mama ,, sometimes she would even spend the night there.. mum was amazing with her as she was with us when we were kids ... i was rest-minded knowing that who take care of my daughter was my lovely mum .. needless to say that by the time i started to depend on mama more anad more on dania`s care ...
one night last year i was preparing myself to come to England emptying dania`s stuff in boxes and folding her bed for storage ,,when i suddenly realized that i`m taking dania from her actual mama: my mama ... at the time my daughter was so close to mum that she would call her mama .. and i think to this date that Dania thinks that i`m her closest sister or something and that mama is our mum (both of us) and that sister and brothers are her siblings along with her dad !!!...
well back to that evening, i was puzzled ,, wondering if taking Dania with me would be the right decision ,, this will definitly break my mum`s heart ,, but i can`t live without her she is my soul ,, the hard decision was done ( with alot of support from mama herself) i took her away ..
first days in UK was as hard as anybody could imagine ,, it was my and Abubaker first contact with dania ( without family surrounding us) ,, i remember her callings to mama ,, her sleepless nights asking about mama , dad, brothers and sister.. her crying asking me to go to mama.. i was heartbroken,,crying most of the time ,, trying to hide my weakness from hubby ,,i was missing mama as well ..and dania was not there for help..
two months later i was just adjusting myself to this new life with our sweet spoiled dodo ..covering her with new clothes , new toys ,, and lots and lots of sweets and chips ,, it was my desperate way of saying i love you,,,,,
mum came to visit ,, mama was missing dania tremendously , but i was amazed by the reaction of little Dania ,, she jumped to hug mama and throughout the next days she was glued to mama as if she didn`t want her to go again...this visit was so important to me, mama and dania..
mama`s departure was so painful ... i always blame her for her unconditional love , her looking-after-each-person-attitude that makes us so dependent on her,, her non-stop-giving ,, and her hugs and cuddles it just makes us soo in love with this beautiful lady ,, and here again my baby was falling in love with her ...
after few months of struggling with dania`s mood ,, trying to mimic my mum`s food to please her ,, singing the same songs .. i reached a point where i started to ask myself : Am I a Good Mother? ... yes i`m trying but did i do what was expected from a mother? ,,, my mum dedicated her life to us .. mum was always there for us ,, she was and still over protective ,, she bought us our first books ,, she cooked our favourate food ,,, and to date mama is always there even for our cousins and family kids ,,
mama abandended her master studies because of us ,, she was accepted to study at the university of Rome to study philosophy ,, but for our sake she just withdrew her studies to take care of us ...
i`m not like her ,, i`m studying my masters leaving Dania for hours -to fulfill my dreams!- ... i go to gym which means extra hours away from her,, i use computer alot for study and for internet ,, leaving dania for hours playing alone ...
i may not cook today coz i`m tired ,, heating a ready made pizza would not impress mama ,, this is not how you treat your family... she may say..
i`m so lazy in training her on potty cause i`m busy with studies ,, prefering to wrap her with nappies (thank you pampers for size 5!!!) ...
i would arrange a day out to myself to see a movie or something prefering to leave dania with her dad coz ,, i just want to enjoy!!!
well ,, i love her to bits ,, she is my little angel ,, i really became addicted to her ,, when she is ill ,, i just feel heartbroken,, i hate seeing her crying,, i adore her smile... i like to sing with her uncle barnie`s song:
I love you.. you love me
we are happy family..
i like building lego houses with her ,, watching Madagascar movie with her .. dancing on the zamzamat songs (she is addicted to زمزامات و مصطفى بتير ) ,, reading her night time stories ..
i cherish every second spent with her ,,,she is the light of my soul .. it is just my inner guilt that makes me wonder whether i`m a good mother or not ,, a good mother.. just as mine...

love you mama

Dania`s mum

9 comments:

Anglo-Libyan said...

that was very touching and yes you are a wonderful mother but at a different time to your mother.
Allah bless your family.

Hannu said...

Hi Dania's Mom.

Dania is lucky to have had the connection with your Mom. Be happy for that. Watch Dania, if she seems healthy and happy, then there's your answer to the question that you shouldn't ask. There's no "correct" way to be a mother. Every child is different, every mother is different.

I find it helpful to structure my life and have a schedule to follow, especially with the kids and school. If I don't do that, I end up missing a lot in every aspect and lose balance. Just find what works for you and follow it even if it might take time to do that.

Warm wishes for a joyous Eid and a happy New year!

Anglo-Libyan said...

best wishes for a happy eid and new year to all of you.

Tara said...

Happy Eid to you and your family!!!

Highlander said...

You are for sure a good mother , look how much trouble you took to write about it ?
Happy New Year and Eid Mabrouk to you and yours !

Anonymous said...

well thank u sis for not even mentioned that i took care alot of dania when i was in libya ..
u know whats ur problem with dania is that everybody want to share her with u evrybody just feel conected one way or another to her coz she came when a time there was no babys around and she was a joy and exploring advanture for all of us..
all of us didnt want her to go or to not be around when one of us go out the first thing that we r looking for when we come back is her watching her smile or laugh or sing was a bless ..
when i first left i was going crazy talking to myself like she is infront of me saying her words trying to remember her acts everything that i know i missed her as much i missed my mam and honstly sometimes morethan her coz i was so close to her and when she was born it was like a reborn to me too coz i was in dark time and she was my sunshine and i believe she was my saver ..
anyway iif starts to write about her i would need days and night just to show half of my feelings for her ...im going to be mam soon inshalla and i dont know if i would live him as much as dania or less but ther will be always a special bond between me and her now and forever ...dody

Um Dania said...

dear anglolibyan thank you for you support and happy new year

hannu i`m so glad to have you here,, thank you for your advice and happy new year..

Tara.. i missed your posts ,, happy new year may god bless you little angel "Sara"..

Highlander...thank you for passing by,,and thank you for nominating this post as one of the best posts in the last month,, you really made my day..happy new year


and sis... well the post is all about motherhood ,, i `m comparing myself to mum ,, if i need to talk about your role in Dania care i would need a very long post ,, you are such a beautiful aunt ,, you dedicated all your love to her ,, do you remember when i went to Tunisia,, she was only two months and you volenteered to look after her,,mum told me that you would stay awake all night with her ,,and wake up in the morning to play with her,,
my daughter is obsessed with you ,, she doesn`t stop mentioning you and the baby in your tummy..!!!
so don`t be upset .. you know if you just waited a little longer ,, i was about to post about you and the baby i`m waiting for ,, it is not easy to talk about this though,, coz the idea of you in your late stage of pregnancy away from me would drive me crazy,, but thanks to internet ,, i could watch your progress..
thanks god for everything,, just knowing that you`re happy and healthy is all i want...

kisses

Um Dania

Lebeeya said...

This post is so cute! You are an amazing mother mashallah! So is your mom! Bless you both.

oummLeen said...

i have only one thing to tell u .... U ARE A GOOD MOTHER AND UR DAUGHETR IS LUCKY TO HAVE YOU .