Thursday, March 08, 2007

Travelling Alone??.. Always..!!!


* Floris Jespers1889–1965 BelgianThree Seated Women*


I was raised by free minded parents who always believe in women`s rights and gender equality.. i never felt inferior to any male member in the family.. my parents have always encouraged us to follow our dreams regardless of our genders.... this is was the enviroment i grew in..

My dad is a lawyer.. he would always say that Libya has the best laws regarding gender equality... and that women are privileged to live here because they will always know that they are protected by the means of law....and that they just need some knowledge and information about their rights and duties...


yesterday i read an article in a website saying that Libya will ban women from travelling alone... hello..!! i always travel alone..!!!.. it really shocked me .. it is like returning million years back.. i really hope that this in not true.. women in Libya had achieved alot .. it is just so humilitating to hear this ..

so to go to visit my family i need my husband to take me there...and since his holiday time is differnet from mine.. he will have to return back for his studies ,, then come back again to Libya to take me back.. as if i`m abag...or a piece of furniture..and what about my friend who lives in Germany alone for study purposes (sent by the goverment) is she banned from comming home untill she gets married or ask her father to pay unneccessary tickets to pick up his daughter.. !!!! this is total craziness.. i really hope that this is untrue.. I`m just praying that it is not true...

as usual..Um Dania


6 comments:

MaySoon said...

Yah I read that too UmDania, and I hope it won't be applied, it's just stupid.. they say it is to prtect women, says who?!!! like we need men to protect us? SICK I don't want to say more.. have a nice one.. and inshallah that decision will not see the light :oD

Anglo-Libyan said...

acording to many Libyan websites it is true!
I remember many years ago they tried to introduce the same law but it was never enforced.
it is stupid and degrading, i hope they scarp it now.

Um Dania said...

Maysoon ...unfortunately the news are true .. be careful when you travel .. grab a mehrem!!!
Anglo.. i hope that they fail to implement this awful law or as they name it "regulation"!!!

Writertobe said...

Dear Um Dania,
thanks again for your recent comment; what a fantastic young lady you are, mashallah.

What can I say! Sadly the world is full of nasty people.

Kind Regards

Highlander said...

I was wondering Umdania what about the people who don't have a murham ? what can they do ? Glad this crisis is over.

Hannu said...

With all due respect, your father is mistaken about Libya having the best laws regarding gender equality. Apparently there are laws he's not aware of. I know that from first-hand experience. I will share that experience when I have the time.

Glad to see you're blogging again!